dcsimg
Application discovery
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   James_McLachlan
Posted On:   Friday, September 13, 2002 05:55 AM

Why is this information so hard to come by? All I want to do is to download J2ME apps from my web server. I'm using Tomcat 4.0.1 (which has the jad and jar MIME types correctly set). The J2ME 1.0.4 tool, "emulator", should allow me to discover and install my J2ME MIDlet. The .jad and .jar files are stored in a directory on the server. When I access the directory through a web browser, it displays the directory contents (because these are the ony files stored there). If I try to access the .jad file directly with the URL, the browser correctly identifies the MIME type (vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor) and asks what action to take. I even wrote a little servlet to tell me what headers, parameter   More>>

Why is this information so hard to come by?

All I want to do is to download J2ME apps from my web server. I'm using Tomcat 4.0.1 (which has the jad and jar MIME types correctly set).

The J2ME 1.0.4 tool, "emulator", should allow me to discover and install my J2ME MIDlet.

The .jad and .jar files are stored in a directory on the server. When I access the directory through a web browser, it displays the directory contents (because these are the ony files stored there). If I try to access the .jad file directly with the URL, the browser correctly identifies the MIME type (vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor) and asks what action to take.

I even wrote a little servlet to tell me what headers, parameters and attributes were being provided by the emulator during it's discovery phase. It only provides two headers (content-length and host).

EXACTLY what information is it expecting back? The raw .jad file? All .jad files in the directory? An XML description of the directory/file contents (I recall seeing some Motorola document describing something like this).

It's almost like no-one wants to describe this part of the process :-(

I don't need a full tutorial here, just some document references that describe what needs to be in the directory containing the MIDlets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Jim.

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact