Too Many java instances... running out of memory (linux)
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Mark_Woodward
Posted On:   Thursday, September 12, 2002 02:30 PM

I just installed tomcat 4.1.10 on my Redhat linux 2.4.7-10 (i386). asside from taking a long time to compile jsp's, everything seems to work fine. The problem is that I quickly run out of memory. By clicking on 4 or five jsp examples, the server gobbles up about 200MB of memory. I am starting the server from a bash shell, as root. When I do a ps -a from that shell, there are about 20 instances of java running. I have tried several different jdk's, from 1.2 to 1.4.1. All of them have the same problem. I am running tomcat as a standalone application. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank-you -Mark    More>>

I just installed tomcat 4.1.10 on my Redhat linux 2.4.7-10 (i386). asside from taking a long time to compile jsp's, everything seems to work fine. The problem is that I quickly run out of memory. By clicking on 4 or five jsp examples, the server gobbles up about 200MB of memory.

I am starting the server from a bash shell, as root. When I do a ps -a from that shell, there are about 20 instances of java running.

I have tried several different jdk's, from 1.2 to 1.4.1. All of them have the same problem.

I am running tomcat as a standalone application.

I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank-you

-Mark

<<Less

Re: Too Many java instances... running out of memory (linux)

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Thursday, September 12, 2002 06:50 PM

You probably need to set the min and max memory allocated
to JVM by environment variable CATALINA_OPTS
For example,
set CATALINA_OPTS to be -Xmx384m -Xms256m

Susan
About | Sitemap | Contact