dcsimg
Running JSP/servlets on Tomcat 4.1.10
4 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Owen_Tribe
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 10, 2002 03:00 AM

I have an issue relating to Tomcat on both Windows and MacOS X. I have installed this many times and I can safely find Tomcat's homepage. However, on both machines, I cannot run the examples provided with the default installation. On Windows, I get: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null Generated servlet error: [javac] Compiling 1 source file SO I can't even use the nice new admin utility. On the MacOS X box, I can run the admin and manager tools but nothing else. For the examples deployment, I get the error: FAIL - Application at context path /examples could not ..   More>>

I have an issue relating to Tomcat on both Windows and MacOS X.

I have installed this many times and I can safely find Tomcat's homepage. However, on both machines, I cannot run the examples provided with the default installation.

On Windows, I get:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
[javac] Compiling 1 source file

SO I can't even use the nice new admin utility.

On the MacOS X box, I can run the admin and manager tools but nothing else. For the examples deployment, I get the error:

FAIL - Application at context path /examples could not ...

Please someone help me as I am losing my hair over this one.

<<Less

Re: Running JSP/servlets on Tomcat 4.1.10

Posted By:   Christian_Kullmann  
Posted On:   Thursday, September 12, 2002 06:39 AM

I saw the same symptom. I installed JDK 1.4.0 replacing JRE 1.4.0. That solved the problem.

I am trying to figure out how to deploy a precompiled set of .JSP's to allow a JRE only setup for my application.

Posted By:   Brennan_Spies  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 10, 2002 02:26 PM

I ran into a bug where, if you installed Tomcat 4.1 on a drive other than the primary drive (i.e., C:) it would not work correctly because of a problem with ant.jar (we got a lot of classpath errors where Tomcat would not find class/jar files, so that even the examples would not work). Reinstalling Tomcat 4.1 on the C: drive fixed the problem. This is a documented bug in the Apache/Tomcat bug database.

Posted By:   Michael_Peterson  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 10, 2002 02:25 PM

I was having a similar problems and while digging though the bug database discovered that there's a bug with Ant that prevents Tomcat from being installed on any but the C: drive for 4.1.10. Not sure if this matches your problem but it fixed mine.

gl,

Michael

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 10, 2002 09:39 AM

Hi,

Do the links on the default home page work? If you want to type the URL in the address bar, try http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp or http://localhost:8080/examples/servlets
About | Sitemap | Contact