dcsimg
... the pitfalls of antcalls ...
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Randy_Novick
Posted On:   Friday, September 6, 2002 09:26 AM

Hi I'm in the process of moving from make to ant. The journey will ultimately lead to having CruiseControl running ANT builds and executing our jUnit tests. Things are going well, and I've been able to successfully duplicate all of my makefile targets in ANT. Mostly, I've done this by defining a set of 'meaty' targets that do the work, and grouping them (as needed) in targets that consist only of antcalls. Now, I've read (in this forum) about some pitfalls to using antcall tasks. Specifically, the point has been made that anything the called target depends on will be executed beforehand, and it appears that a whole new instance of the project is created to handle the target being ca   More>>

Hi

I'm in the process of moving from make to ant. The journey will ultimately lead to having CruiseControl running ANT builds and executing our jUnit tests.

Things are going well, and I've been able to successfully duplicate all of my makefile targets in ANT.

Mostly, I've done this by defining a set of 'meaty' targets that do the work, and grouping them (as needed) in targets that consist only of antcalls.

Now, I've read (in this forum) about some pitfalls to using antcall tasks. Specifically, the point has been made that anything the called target depends on will be executed beforehand, and it appears that a whole new instance of the project is created to handle the target being called.

Given these points, are there any other drawbacks? Can you describe a more elegant way to group targets? ... one that avoids the pitfalls of antcalls?

Thanks, and Happy Friday!

-- R

<<Less

Re: ... the pitfalls of antcalls ...

Posted By:   Erik_Hatcher  
Posted On:   Saturday, September 7, 2002 10:20 AM

If you're using a lot of 's then you are likely trying to "script" your build rather than break it out into a dependency graph such that targets are responsible for only one small piece and depend on other targets that do the work required prior.

I use for utility type functionality that has no dependencies itself, but I let the calling target have the dependencies.

About | Sitemap | Contact