dcsimg
3 Tier Database Application
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Shahzad_Faisal
Posted On:   Thursday, September 5, 2002 04:06 AM

As a requirement for MSc Software Development Degree my task is to develop a 3 Tier Client Server Application Using Java Beans. Back end is a Oracle Database and Front End needs to be developed as Java Application. Beans are to provide isolation of Business logic from the presentation logic. Please throw some light as to how can I achieve Middle Tier as I want to avoid RMI. What is the roll of a server like Tom Cat in this scenario ? What I had in mind was Oracle -- Tomcat (if possible)--Beans on Server Side-- Java Client Application using JDBC Calls as SQL statements(over the net). Please please suggest a suitable web/application server. Is Tom Cat Fit enough..? Also please suggest the technology a   More>>

As a requirement for MSc Software Development Degree my task is to develop a
3 Tier Client Server Application Using Java Beans. Back end is a Oracle
Database and Front End needs to be developed as Java Application. Beans are to
provide isolation of Business logic from the presentation logic. Please throw
some light as to how can I achieve Middle Tier as I want to avoid RMI. What is the roll of a server like Tom Cat in this scenario ?

What I had in mind was Oracle -- Tomcat (if possible)--Beans on Server Side-- Java Client Application using JDBC Calls as SQL statements(over the net).

Please please suggest a suitable web/application server. Is Tom Cat Fit enough..?
Also please suggest the technology architecture. It has to be 3 tier. Forget about the security issue. Just the Oracle-- ?? ---Bean-- Java Application. Please fill in the
blank for me. Thanks a lot.

<<Less

Keep SQL in middle tier!

Posted By:   Roger_Hand  
Posted On:   Thursday, September 5, 2002 08:58 AM

Will the user be accessing the app through a Web browser? Or via a full-on Java application running on the desktop?

If users have a client Java app, then Tomcat probably has no place in this, since Tomcat is a JSP/Servlet container meant to send responses to Web browser http requests. And if Java code on the client is communicating with Java code on the servlet then you should probably check out Enterprise JavaBeans. In any case I would suggest keeping the SQL in the JavaBeans in the middle tier, and not putting it into client code!

If, on the other hand, users will access the app via a Web browser, then Tomcat will serve the JSP pages and execute the servlets.

Re: 3 Tier Database Application

Posted By:   AlessandroA_Garbagnati  
Posted On:   Thursday, September 5, 2002 05:36 AM

Hi,

Well, why don't you start from this FAQ:What is Enterprise JavaBeans?.

This is a good place to start your homework. Once you have some possible scenarios, with different architectures, I'm sure you'll finde people in here that will discuss with you for finding the pros and cons of each one.

About | Sitemap | Contact