dcsimg
Using JNDI to access Microsoft Exchange
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Raj_Natarajan
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 3, 2002 11:04 AM

I am trying to access the mailbox attributes in the Microsoft Exchange directory using JNDI.

Has anyone done this? If so can you share the code snippet to do this?

Thanks
Raj

Re: Using JNDI to access Microsoft Exchange

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Thursday, September 5, 2002 01:50 AM

hey there

No problem at all using JNDI (LDAP provider) to access Microsoft's ADS. I built an entire application that was using ADS as it's *database*, and was accessing the user accounts' attributes for identification. You can access a specific server, or the global cache, depending on the connection string you specify.

cheers
laurent

Posted By:   Ivo_Limmen  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 3, 2002 12:13 PM

I tried this once a year ago. Yes it is all is posible. I was able to retrieve the complete schematics using an LDAP connection to Exchange 5.5. I could not do anything more. Microsoft is not the easiest company to get specifications from when a product of theirs is concerned. Good luck.

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 3, 2002 11:59 AM

I think the Microsoft Exchange Server should have an LDAP interface available for its directory/directories, so you should be able to access it as a regular LDAP server.

No, I have not done so programmatically. But I have used a regular LDAP client application, e.g. the address book/directory service facility in several common email applications, to browse the Exchange Server GAL, some years ago, so I know it works.

I think we had it working, back around 1998, viewing the Exchange Server GAL entries on the latest Exchange Server as of then (probably 5.5), with Outlook 98 and Outlook Express 4 (e.g. accessed as a generic LDAP directory server, not through Microsoft proprietary MAPI as an Exchange Server), also from the address book/directory lookup in Netscape Communicator 4.X, also from a standalone LDAP client from Siemens (maybe it was called "DirX"? I forget, sorry).

About | Sitemap | Contact