Converting a Java Program to an equivalent C Program using compiler-compilers.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   mario_riola
Posted On:   Thursday, August 15, 2002 05:05 AM

Please discuss and explain to me how to convert a Java program into an equivalent C program. Only a subset of the Java language will be used but a general idea of the possible ways of doing this would be of great help. Also, specifically, converting Java classes with attributes and methods to C struct¬ís and functions and can you please describe the algorithm. Another one, is how to convert method overloading in Java into C functions (usually implemented using name mangling) and please describe the algorithm. Lastly, how can i convert method overriding in Java into C functions (possibly using additional data structure, find out about virtual method tables), describe your algorithm. Please...please..please.Thank you so much.Hopin   More>>

Please discuss and explain to me how to convert a Java program into an equivalent C program. Only a subset of the Java language will be used but a general idea of the possible ways of doing this would be of great help. Also, specifically, converting Java classes with attributes and
methods to C struct’s and functions and can you please describe the algorithm. Another one, is how to convert method overloading in Java into C functions (usually implemented using name mangling) and please describe the algorithm. Lastly, how can i convert method overriding in Java into C functions (possibly using additional data structure, find out about virtual method tables), describe your
algorithm.

Please...please..please.Thank you so much.Hoping for your immediate help and response

<<Less

Re: Converting a Java Program to an equivalent C Program using compiler-compilers.

Posted By:   Adam_McClure  
Posted On:   Wednesday, August 21, 2002 08:59 PM

Believe it or not, this is "relatively" (albeit non-trivial) easy to do with ANTLR.

First you should start with the excellent Java grammar provided at www.antlr.org. This will read in your Java source files and generate an AST.

Step one is already done for you to a large extent. The real work is to provide a reverse-grammar for C. Think about the structure of C and the TOKENS in the grammar. What you want to accomplish is a mapping of the AST generated by the Java parser to another AST that represents your C program.

You will build a TreeWalker to perform the AST->AST mapping. Then make another TreeWalker to emit the C code or do it in a single step. Since there's no runtime performance requirements (obviously this tool will be run during development not in production) separating the AST translation and emitter into two steps is probably a nice way to carve up the work.

Now make a utility Main class that reads in the Java file and calls the Java parser. Then hand the generated AST to your first TreeWalker. Finally take that output AST and hand it to the emitter along with a file handle. Voila!

Adam McClure

About | Sitemap | Contact