dcsimg
How to check a mail whether it bounced back
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Karthik_Nataraj
Posted On:   Sunday, August 11, 2002 05:13 AM

Hi All, We send mails and have to record undelivered if the mail bounced back automatically. The mail will bounce back to the from address. But we have to automatically update our database if any mails bounced back. Any how the bounce back will be routed by the SMTP Mail server only. At this point it should update our database also about the status i.e. whether the mail box is "full" or "receiving server busy" or "unknown user in the receiving server" or "failed", etc... Let me be clear. I use JRun3 (JSP), JDK1.3, IIS, SMTP Mail server, Java Mail (Activation.jar, Mail.jar). We use the SMTP server just to send mails across the internet. We don't have any inco   More>>

Hi All,

We send mails and have to record undelivered if the mail bounced back automatically.

The mail will bounce back to the from address. But we have to automatically update our database if any mails bounced back. Any how the bounce back will be routed by the SMTP Mail server only. At this point it should update our database also about the status i.e. whether the mail box is "full" or "receiving server busy" or "unknown user in the receiving server" or "failed", etc...

Let me be clear. I use JRun3 (JSP), JDK1.3, IIS, SMTP Mail server, Java Mail (Activation.jar, Mail.jar). We use the SMTP server just to send mails across the internet. We don't have any incoming mail server. In our JSP project we allow the user to send message's (project specific) using the SMTP server. The from address will be user's address who sends the mail. If any of the "to" email address fails then it will bouse back to the from address (user's inbox like asd@hotmail.com).

I have to automatically detect which emails failed and update my database. Depending on that I take a report. My user doesn't want to update whether sent or failed for all the emails sent by him. I don't wnat to save any messages. I just want to know if the email sent was delivered or bounced back to my user's mailbox.

Any how on bouncing it will be sent via my SMTP server. At this point the SMTP server should update my database. Or a program must be listening on SMTP server for any bounces and update the database. Does any one have any other idea? Please give ur suggestions. I am a novioce. Please be specific and give some example codes.

Thanxs,
Karthik

<<Less

Re: How to check a mail whether it bounced back

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Monday, August 12, 2002 08:17 AM

The "right" way to do it is to set up a separate mailbox account just to take the bounced errors ("NDN"'s Non-Delivery Notices and other DSN's Delivery Status Notification messages, returned by MTA Mail Transfer Agent mailservers), so the actual sending users never even see any bounces.

For instance, if you look at most messages that come from mailing list "listservers", the SMTP envelope MAIL FROM (perhaps reflected in the "Return-Path:" header) will usually point to a special mailbox (e.g. "foolist-request", "foolist-admin", etc.) used by the listserver to automatically process bounces.

Also, for most mailing list messages, if you click on "Reply" you'll see that the "To:" header in your new reply goes to a special list submission address (e.g. "foolist"), not directly to the person (e.g. "joe-listmember") who sent the message to the list.

This is because Internet mail is designed so a message can have three entirely different "return addresses": One is the ESMTP envelope MAIL FROM sender, which your mail sender system should set to the special bounce-handling mailbox ("foolist-request"). Another is the "From:" header which recipients might see in the display of their mail client ("joe-listmember"). The third is the "Reply-To:" header, which their mail client will use when they click on "Reply", to construct the new "To:" header in the reply ("foolist").

All three of these addresses serve different purposes, and should be set to different things (different mailbox addresses for those different purposes), if your mail sending system is well designed.

About | Sitemap | Contact