Is it possible to Reuse struts application.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Abhilesh_khatri
Posted On:   Thursday, August 8, 2002 05:50 AM

Hi all It seems no body had a chance to look for this post. Therefore I'm sending it here once again. I want to develop a reusable framework and use it in all other Application's as required. I have created an UMSDemo.EAR Application (a User Management System framework) (using struts framework with WSAD 4.0 ) file that consists of components such as Login page, user details page, role details page, Userlist page etc... This framework takes care of the administrative issues such as creating/modifying/deleting Users creating/modifying/deleting Roles Nofifying users via Email Change Password Reset password etc... The EAR consists of following subproject   More>>

Hi all

It seems no body had a chance to look for this post. Therefore I'm sending it here once again. I want to develop a reusable framework and use it in all other Application's as required.

I have created an UMSDemo.EAR Application (a User Management System framework) (using struts framework with WSAD 4.0 ) file that consists of components such as Login page, user details page, role details page, Userlist page etc...

This framework takes care of the administrative issues such as

• creating/modifying/deleting Users
  • creating/modifying/deleting Roles
  • Nofifying users via Email
  • Change Password
  • Reset password etc...

The EAR consists of following subprojects:

i) An EJB project, that interacts with the database. (The system has its own database.)

ii) A Web project that has all the display pages (JSP's and html)etc..

My question goes like this:

1. Can I use this EAR straight away in some other applications as a framework? if YES then what do I need to do? Do I have to put this EAR file in the classpath of the new application?

2. And in my new Application's JSP pages can I straightaway include any of the JSP or Html pages those are present in UMSDEMO.EAR (framework)?

How should I plugin this framework into my Application? Or is it something that my concept of treating EAR as framework is wrong?

All this questions are bothering me... Putting me into more dilemma, that whether I should opt for frameworks or NOT.
    Is there any other better approach that I should follow?

Please suggest. thanks in advance

Abhilesh

•    <<Less

Re: Is it possible to Reuse struts application.

Posted By:   Celandro_Spellsong  
    Posted On:   Thursday, August 8, 2002 02:14 PM

What you want to do is deploy this application as say /admin with appropriate SSL and security, and then any other application that needs to have users will need a library included that will check the user privaleges (logging on, preferences etc.). The library would most likely consist of the EJB project, but perhaps some other generic things would need to be added. This of course assumes that the users cant add/delete themselves which I think would be rather dangerous.

The big thing you are missing is that multiple EARs can be deployed on the same server and can reference the same database. Also you can link between different EARs by just using links that go from say /forums/viewPost.jsp to say /admin/changePassword.do

Hope this helps,

Ryan

About | Sitemap | Contact