Problem with j_security_check when using form-based authentication
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Haroon_Chowdhary
Posted On:   Wednesday, August 7, 2002 12:29 PM

Please Log In Here's the situation: I'm running Orion 1.5.2 on Win2K. I have an application that I'm trying to secure using form-based authentication that's behaving quite strangely, and I've pretty much exhausted all my options regarding what could be wrong here. I've made the appropriate entries in my web.xml file (see below), and have placed my login.jsp and login-error.jsp pages one level above the secured folder (called application-folder) like this: index.jsp login.jsp login-error.jsp application-folder       main.jsp       search.jsp WEB-INF       web.xml    More>>
Please Log In

Here's the situation:

I'm running Orion 1.5.2 on Win2K. I have an application that I'm trying to secure using form-based authentication that's behaving quite strangely, and I've pretty much exhausted all my options regarding what could be wrong here.

I've made the appropriate entries in my web.xml file (see below), and have placed my login.jsp and login-error.jsp pages one level above the secured folder (called application-folder) like this:

index.jsp

login.jsp

login-error.jsp

application-folder

main.jsp

search.jsp

WEB-INF
      web.xml

Here's my web.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

oxsys
/WEB-INF/oxsys.tld

Index.jsp

FORM
Example Form-Based Authentication Area

/login.jsp
/login-error.jsp

no description
administrator

no description
medium_clearance

no description
minimal_clearance

myapplication
no description
/application-folder/

DELETE
GET

no description
minimal_clearance

no description
NONE

The index.jsp file contains a link that directs users to /application-folder/main.jsp. Since everything under /application-folder/ is secured (see web.xml), it redirects the users to the /login.jsp page.

This page looks like this:

Username:
Password:

7 out 10 times, things will go smoothly, and after authentication the j_security_check servlet redirects me to /application-folder/main.jsp. However the rest of the time I get a 404 Not Found error with the explanation: "Resource /servlet/j_security_check not found on this server".

I also notice that on occasion, after successful authentication, the url shown in the address bar isn't http://localhost/application-folder/main.jsp, but http://localhost/servlet/j_security_check. Whenever this happens, none of the links in my application work any longer because instead of directing users to files located under /application-folder/ they instead send users to /servlet/. IOW, if I have a link in main.jsp that points to search.jsp, it should find the file called /application-folder/search.jsp... but instead it tries to serve up the file called /servlet/search.jsp, which doesn't exist.

I'm quite puzzled as to what may be wrong with my setup, and would really appreciate if someone could provide me with some useful hints.

Thanks in advance.

Harry.    <<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact