newbie question: applet security
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Michal_Kolesar
Posted On:   Wednesday, August 7, 2002 03:55 AM

Hi all, Can anybody tell me how to allow to java applet access to the Internet? By default it is deny. Somebody told me about digitaly signature, and other things. Is possible to find step-by-step howto how to allow to applet network access? I now have it programmed and it work well in Java Web Start. But Java Web Start is not installed on all klient machines and it is so big. Nobody will download this pack only for using my applet. please answer also on my email: kolisko@penguin.cz Tx for help Michal Kolesar    More>>

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me how to allow to java applet access to the Internet? By default it is deny.
Somebody told me about digitaly signature, and other things. Is possible to find step-by-step howto how to
allow to applet network access?

I now have it programmed and it work well in Java Web Start. But Java Web Start is not installed on all klient machines and it is so big. Nobody will download this pack only for using my applet.

please answer also on my email: kolisko@penguin.cz

Tx for help

Michal Kolesar

<<Less

Re: newbie question: applet security

Posted By:   R_C  
Posted On:   Wednesday, August 7, 2002 04:05 AM

These steps describe the creation of a self-signed applet. This is useful for testing purposes. For use of public reachable applets, there will be needed a "real" certificate issued by an authority like VeriSign or Thawte. (See Step 10 - no user will import and trust a self-signed applet from an unkown developer).

The applet needs to run in the plugin, as only the plugin is platform- and browser-independent. And without this independence, it doesn't make sense to use Java programming..

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/qow/archive/99/index.html

Creating Signed, Persistent Java Applets
Dr. Dobb's Journal February 1999
Extending the Java security framework
By Paul Brigner

http://www.ddj.com/articles/1999/9902/9902h/9902h.htm
About | Sitemap | Contact