Developing and running a server application
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Mark_Minasazi
Posted On:   Thursday, August 1, 2002 04:23 PM

I am trying to write a server application to work as a service and listen to a particular port. I want it to run as a service and be faceless like most servers are without having to have a user log in to the computer. Also I want it to start when the computer boots.

I know how to program in java but I don't have enough background in java technology.

Please give me some information as to how I need to start, what java technology I neet to use, how I need to compile, and how I need to run it.

This server will be deployed on RedHat 7.1.

Thanks

Re: Developing and running a server application

Posted By:   jaivir_singh  
Posted On:   Monday, August 5, 2002 09:55 PM

Hi ,

Well your question is actually not for EJB forum but anyways what you need to do is

Write a programme using java server sockets which will act as your server and listen on a particular port.

Alternatively

you could use RMI where in you could have more control , and features for eg like OAD ie object activation daemon , where in server starts when a client sends a request, provided by the java.rmi API.

Now in order to run these programmes as services is out of scope of java.For that you need to be well versed with the OS you will use , and some programing with C++ I guess.

Hope this helps you to some extent.

cheers

Jaivir Singh
About | Sitemap | Contact