Java Exe
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Gillian_Daniel
Posted On:   Wednesday, July 31, 2002 08:44 AM

Hi there
I am hoping someone can help. I have written Java code, compiled it and now would like to make this into an EXE file. Only snag, I want it to run in a Windows environment which does not have the Java Run Time Environment installed.
Is this at all possible?

Gillian

Re: Java Exe

Posted By:   Joe_Cheng  
Posted On:   Thursday, August 1, 2002 08:41 AM

I may be mistaken but I think back in the old days when Microsoft included their own JVM with Windows, Visual J++ could compile Java code down to an .exe.

That's probably not a path you want to take though, if it's even true.

I don't think you'll be able to get around the JRE requirement. The best you can probably do is use Java Web Start to make the JRE download automatic (though your clients will still have to install the JWS client itself).

You'll have the same problem with .NET, at least until everyone's migrated over to Windows XP... you'll need your users to install the .NET Framework runtime, which is not any easier than installing the JRE.

Re: Java Exe

Posted By:   Simone_Re  
Posted On:   Wednesday, July 31, 2002 11:38 AM

The result of compilation is a bytecode file, not an EXE file. The bytecode must be interpretated by a Virtual Machine (for example Java Runtime Env). You must looking for something that generate an EXE file from a Java source, but I don't bielieve you can find it because interpretation gives java its portability.
About | Sitemap | Contact