dcsimg
-> STRUTS + L18N = INTERROGATIONS
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   joey_corleon
Posted On:   Sunday, July 28, 2002 01:49 PM

Hi, I am planning to build a site supporting a variety of 5 different European languages - I have been told that STRUTS was quite convenient in such multi-localized projects as it is very easy to implement tags such as and different local settings. My question is the following: Is there a downside in matter of performance using such methods? I mean, if all of the templates and buttons of my site must be translated in so many different languages isn't it wiser to generate all of the pages in all of the laguages once for all before putting the site in production state (e.g. static generation of the pages)? Furthermore what about the content itself (e.g. different subjects, topcs, sorries) - I don't expect   More>>

Hi,

I am planning to build a site supporting a variety of 5 different European languages - I have been told that STRUTS was quite convenient in such multi-localized projects as it is very easy to implement tags such as and different local settings.

My question is the following:

Is there a downside in matter of performance using such methods? I mean, if all of the templates and buttons of my site must be translated in so many different languages isn't it wiser to generate all of the pages in all of the laguages once for all before putting the site in production state (e.g. static generation of the pages)?

Furthermore what about the content itself (e.g. different subjects, topcs, sorries) - I don't expect to put all of this in a language properties files as the site is dynamically growing up in size.

As I am new in web development, I would appreciate having your view on the problem.

I think some of the dynamic localized stuff would be more happy in a database.

For the stories and topics themselves I was tinking of an other JAKARTA project: Cocoon (leaving appart the all the scripting stuff it is able to do), which separates the content from the presentation layer (e.g. using XML for storing the content into files or database), however I don't realy know if it offers any built-in functionality for L18N.

Basically, my quetions would be:

1) What is the balance between hardcoding NUMEROUS localized string in the jsp files and the builtin L18N functioanlites Struts offers (keeping in mind the processing overhead I believe the tag involves)?

2) Has anyone already made the attempt to use alternative solutions ON TOP of Struts to build a strongly L18N centered website? - If it is Cocoon or any other technologie. give your point of view.

Many thanks in advance!

Joey

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact