dcsimg
Receiving DatagramSocket without Blocking?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   silvia_antunes
Posted On:   Sunday, July 28, 2002 08:34 AM

I have one thread to receive a DatagramPacket and other threads running at the same time, so I can't block in the instruction DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramPacket) because the other threads won't run. Is it possible to receive a DatagramSocket without Blocking a Thread? public class threadreceive extends Thread { int count = 5; /** Creates new threadreceive */ public threadreceive() { } public void start() { byte[] receiveData = new byte[1024]; byte[] sendData = new byte[1024]; try{ DatagramSocket serverSocket = new DatagramSocket(); DatagramPacket receivePacket = new DatagramPacke   More>>

I have one thread to receive a DatagramPacket and other threads running at the same time, so I can't block in the instruction DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramPacket) because the other threads won't run.
Is it possible to receive a DatagramSocket without Blocking a Thread?

public class threadreceive extends Thread {

int count = 5;

/** Creates new threadreceive */

public threadreceive() {

}

public void start() {

byte[] receiveData = new byte[1024];

byte[] sendData = new byte[1024];

try{

DatagramSocket serverSocket = new DatagramSocket();

DatagramPacket receivePacket = new DatagramPacket (receiveData, receiveData.length);

while (count-- >0){

try{

serverSocket.receive(receivePacket);

Thread.sleep(10);

} catch (InterruptedException e){

} catch (java.io.InterruptedIOException e){

}

}

} catch(SocketException e) {

} catch (IOException e) {

}

}

<<Less

Re: Receiving DatagramSocket without Blocking?

Posted By:   Mike_Friedrich  
Posted On:   Sunday, July 28, 2002 11:37 PM

SUN's API doc says:

"This method blocks until a datagram is received."

This means, that the current thread will block, not the others. If you see that other threads block while this methods runs - you have a synchronized anythere around them.

Try to avaoid synchronization around code that could run a long time (>0,5 seconds) or for code where you dont know the time to run.

Ups, i see now you have overridden the start() method, this is definitly wrong. Use run() for that.

In your case a new thread is not created. The overridden method creates a new one and launches run in that new thread.

Regards, Mike

About | Sitemap | Contact