TOMCAT: RMI - MalFormedURLException due to the reference to the "Program Files directory"
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   nandhini_ganapathiraman
Posted On:   Wednesday, July 24, 2002 04:59 PM

HI all, I use RMI code in my servlet implementation to register for remote events. Everything was working fine initially. However, when i moved my TOMCAT folder under "Program Files" directory, I started getting wierd errors. I suspect my error is because TOMCAT cannot understand the folder name because it has a space in between and is more than eight characters long. So, I tried changing the TOMCAT_HOME variable to contain the short name such as "progra~1" instead of the full name "Program Files"..but that didnt help. Am not clear as to where TOMCAT or RMIRegistry is looking up this name. I REALLY REALLY NEED SOME HELP ON THIS.. ANY USEFUL SUGGESTIONS (OTHER THAN MOVING TOMCAT OUT OF THIS FOLDER) WOULD BE GREAT   More>>

HI all,
I use RMI code in my servlet implementation to register for remote events. Everything was working fine initially. However, when i moved my TOMCAT folder under "Program Files" directory, I started getting wierd errors. I suspect my error is because TOMCAT cannot understand the folder name because it has a space in between and is more than eight characters long. So, I tried changing the TOMCAT_HOME variable to contain the short name such as "progra~1" instead of the full name "Program Files"..but that didnt help.
Am not clear as to where TOMCAT or RMIRegistry is looking up this name. I REALLY REALLY NEED SOME HELP ON THIS..
ANY USEFUL SUGGESTIONS (OTHER THAN MOVING TOMCAT OUT OF THIS FOLDER) WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Below is the stack trace of my error

java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exce
ption is:
java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested excep
tion is:
java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Filesjakarta-tomcat-3.3libappscimom.jar
java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested exception is:
java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Filesjakarta-tomcat-3.3libappscimom.jar
at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(Stream
RemoteCall.java:240)
at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:
215)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:117)
at com.intel.isc.pi.eom.Consumer_Stub.SubscribeEvent(Unknown Source)
at com.intel.ism.ndm.mgr.SABEventReceiver. (SABEventReceiver.java:7
4)
at com.intel.ism.ndm.mgr.SessionMgr$SABDataThread.run(SessionMgr.java:83

<<Less

Re: TOMCAT: RMI - MalFormedURLException due to the reference to the "Program Files directory"

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Thursday, July 25, 2002 07:30 AM

ANY USEFUL SUGGESTIONS (OTHER THAN MOVING TOMCAT OUT OF THIS FOLDER)

You do know the solution.... now you just have to do it!

Unless a Windows application offers to install itself under "Program Files" by default, indicating that it is prepared to deal with the complications caused by the space, I learned years ago (with NT) that it is always safer and better to put them all, including Tomcat, under a directory like "C:Win2KApps" with no space in the name.

About | Sitemap | Contact