dcsimg
New to Java, looking for the best way to implement, too many options....
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Kevin_Kling
Posted On:   Thursday, July 4, 2002 11:40 AM

I am new to Java and have decided that it would be the best platform to hang my "Vertical Market" app on. Java seems to be an excellent platform for developing very solid applications and the platform neutrality is attractive to me because I don't want to be tied to any one vendor. The underlying framework I would like to be open source, with a server dedicated to this particular application. I have used MySQL for other apps, mostly in PHP, so I am happy with the cost/capability of this as a back end database. I have read everything I can find online and in book form but am left with one question. What is the best way to implement a "typical" low processor requir   More>>

I am new to Java and have decided that it would be the best platform to hang my "Vertical Market" app on.

Java seems to be an excellent platform for developing very solid applications and the platform neutrality is attractive to me because I don't want to be tied to any one vendor.

The underlying framework I would like to be open source, with a server dedicated to this particular application. I have used MySQL for other apps, mostly in PHP, so I am happy with the cost/capability of this as a back end database.

I have read everything I can find online and in book form but am left with one question.

What is the best way to implement a "typical" low processor requirement, high data, and high level UI application ?

Applets under a browser ?

Application using JDBC with JVM's on clients ?

Full blown J2EE with JBoss ?

Should I worry about trying to use persistant objects or just use a relational back end ? ( the data is well suited to relational storage )

I don't need web access, it's all intranet and I have control over the clients.
There could be lightwieght wireless devices involved.
Security is important.

I am working on overall design while trying to figure out the best approach, and I just wanted to get some feedback from people who have experience in the trenches so I don't end up a year from now say "why did I decide that was the way to go!".

I am all about leaning from others experience, I am open to suggestions and any information anyone is willing to offer.

Thanks !

<<Less

Re: New to Java, looking for the best way to implement, too many options....

Posted By:   vernon_wu  
Posted On:   Thursday, July 4, 2002 12:08 PM

There are a lot of options(technologies and products) in the J2EE world. Also, there are many framworks let you build up an application quickly with a high quality standard. All of these are built on top of two core technologies: Java and XML.

If you are new to Java and you want to get your hand on J2EE, you have a long way to go. Having Java programming training will be a good starting point.

Good luck for your J2EE journey.
About | Sitemap | Contact