What migration path would you recommend for a 100% JSP web app to Barracuda ?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Thursday, July 4, 2002 09:12 AM

Hi, It seems to me like Barracuda is the right approach to developing Web applications. It kind of follows the same path that we followed from console apps to windows apps (with the message pump and event dispatching coded into the C main... that was quite a move !) and then to MFC apps with the components hiding all the message dispatching, and providing an appropriate default answer to most of windows messages. Now, my problem to adopting this framework is just that we already developed a good third of a Web app (that means we've been developing for one year now...) using only JSP (no Struts, or any other framework) and a home-made HTML 'components' toolkit. It reaches the point where the more important JSPs are 1000+ lin   More>>

Hi,

It seems to me like Barracuda is the right approach to developing Web applications. It kind of follows the same path that we followed from console apps to windows apps (with the message pump and event dispatching coded into the C main... that was quite a move !) and then to MFC apps with the components hiding all the message dispatching, and providing an appropriate default answer to most of windows messages.

Now, my problem to adopting this framework is just that we already developed a good third of a Web app (that means we've been developing for one year now...) using only JSP (no Struts, or any other framework) and a home-made HTML 'components' toolkit. It reaches the point where the more important JSPs are 1000+ lines long of Java code and can hardly be understood by anybody but the guys who wrote them. Needless to say I would love to adopt Barracuda before we hit the wall, but without any experience with it I'm wondering how we could do that.

So do you have the experience of a possible migration path between JSP and Barracuda web apps ? For exemple, do you think it is possible to adopt Barracuda for some new developments that must be embedded into the existing ones ?

More specifically, the layout of the HTML page would still be generated by one of these big JSPs, say index.jsp. It would then invoke a BTemplate that would generate the rest of it. The layout would have some hyperlinks with URLs that only index.jsp knows how to handle. The BTemplate-generated part would have *.event URLs. I guess one problem would be to invoke index.jsp from the Barracuda response event handler in order to draw a complete view when handling Barracuda events...

Or would you recommend to start using another part of Barracuda ? Maybe moving our HTML 'components' to Barracuda components ?

Thanks in advance.

<<Less

Re: What migration path would you recommend for a 100% JSP web app to Barracuda ?

Posted By:   YekSoon_Lok  
Posted On:   Thursday, August 1, 2002 01:02 AM

The question is actually more geared towards managing a software development process.

My suggestion is

1. stick to your functional specifications and development environment (in this case, JSP-based approach) and complete the deliverables until a certain release.

2. After the release, together with the team, review how things can be improved. In this case, how can Barracuda helps? In what way can you improve on the application without affecting the core business logic?

If business logic is clearly separated from the presentation tier, migrating to a new presentation tier will have less impact.

Generally, switching development environment mid-way through a project is not recommended as the team has developed a certain sense of understanding and the various crucial "components" are residing in the team's mind half the time. Switching now, would mean that everyone have to start from zero, throw away the focus that they have acquired etc.

Just my thoughts.

About | Sitemap | Contact