dcsimg
Persistent connections and servlet talking back to applet
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Daniel_Williams
Posted On:   Wednesday, July 3, 2002 05:44 AM

I have a An AWT applet (used in Netscape 4.7 browser) that pops up a fairly complex set of frames which give it an 'application feel'. The Frames send/receive data back through the applet but do almost no data processing (all done on middle tier/web server.) I want to stay with AWT because most browsers only support JAVA 1.1.x out of the box and require a plugin for anything higher. I do not want to use the JAVA plugins as my users would not be happy to install them (or capable for that matter!) Currently all applet/servlet communication is done by standard HTTP (Servlet is running inside Apache/JBOSS/Tomcat 4.0.3. The functional requirements for the 'a   More>>

I have a An AWT applet (used in Netscape 4.7 browser) that pops up a fairly complex set of frames which

give it an 'application feel'. The Frames send/receive data back through the applet but do almost no

data processing (all done on middle tier/web server.)

I want to stay with AWT because most browsers only support JAVA 1.1.x out of the box and require a

plugin for anything higher. I do not want to use the JAVA plugins as my users would not be happy to

install them (or capable for that matter!)

Currently all applet/servlet communication is done by standard HTTP (Servlet is running inside

Apache/JBOSS/Tomcat 4.0.3. The functional requirements for the 'application' have grown to the

extent where I am having to jump through hoops to maintain the data retrieval mechanism the

'application' uses. The applet has to keep polling the web server with HTTP messages to

maintain near-online data updates.

Are HTTP keepalive connections the mechanism to use to get the servlet to talk back to all connected

applet clients as/when it has updates for them? If so, how is it done. If not how can it be done?!

Any info would/URLs with info would be excellent!

Cheers.

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact