dcsimg
4.0.4 Startup problems (RPM does not contain startup.sh)
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Nik_Jewell
Posted On:   Wednesday, June 26, 2002 02:03 PM

I've just installed Tomcat 4.0.4 on a Mandrake 8.2 box from the binary RPMS on the jakarta site. I have j2se 1.4.0_01 installed. My problem is with starting the server. The installation has gone into /var/tomcat4. I've edited tomcat.conf and my system wide /etc/profile to export CATALINA_HOME. The problem is that $CATALINA_HOME/bin (ie /var/tomcat4/bin does not contain startup.sh etc. (only bootstrap.jar) ). I've queried the RPM and the RPM does not contain it either. I've tried starting it with /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 start. As user tomcat4 I get a permission denied. As root it appears to start, but is not running (no joy from ps -aux | grep tomcat4). As both root and user tomcat4 I've tried st   More>>

I've just installed Tomcat 4.0.4 on a Mandrake 8.2 box from the binary RPMS on the jakarta site. I have j2se 1.4.0_01 installed.

My problem is with starting the server.

The installation has gone into /var/tomcat4. I've edited tomcat.conf and my system wide /etc/profile to export CATALINA_HOME.

The problem is that $CATALINA_HOME/bin (ie /var/tomcat4/bin does not contain startup.sh etc. (only bootstrap.jar) ). I've queried the RPM and the RPM does not contain it either.

I've tried starting it with /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 start. As user tomcat4 I get a permission denied. As root it appears to start, but is not running (no joy from ps -aux | grep tomcat4).

As both root and user tomcat4 I've tried starting it with /usr/bin/tomcat4 start - but I get:

[tomcat4@thoth nik]$ /usr/bin/tomcat4 start

Password:

Using CATALINA_BASE: /var/tomcat4

Using CATALINA_HOME: /var/tomcat4

Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp

Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_01/bin

touch: creating `/var/tomcat4/logs/catalina.out':
Permission denied

[tomcat4@thoth nik]$ /usr/bin/dtomcat4:
/var/tomcat4/logs/catalina.out: Permission denied

What am I doing wrong? Something pretty stupid probably :)

TIA

Nik

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact