Runaway debugger with JDK1.4.0
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Brendon_McLean
Posted On:   Monday, June 24, 2002 03:15 AM

Our project has run into problems with the debugger. Very often, pressing F8/Step causes the application to runaway as if I pressed continue. It's quite disruptive losing your place like that.

We are using JDK1.4.0_01, but this behaviour seems the same all the way from 1.4b3 to 1.4.0_01. Is this a 1.4 issue? And is anyone else having this problem? If yes, is there a plan to get this fixed?

Regards,
Brendon McLean

Note: I have not managed to pinpoint the conditions that cause this problem, but I have noticed that anonymous inner classes seem almost guarentee it.

Re: Runaway debugger with JDK1.4.0

Posted By:   Eugene_Zhuravlev  
Posted On:   Monday, July 1, 2002 07:16 AM

The problem you describe indeed happens when using JDK 1.4.0. This is because of known bug in JPDA implementation:

"4619349 Step Over fails in a multi threaded debuggee".
However, using 1.4.0_01 as a target JDK is ok. I tried to reproduce the problem you describe, but haven't managed to. Please check that the JDK you are using is really 1.4.0_01 JDK.

Best regards,

Eugene Zhuravlev

JetBrains, Inc, http://www.intellij.com

"Develop with pleasure!"

Re: Runaway debugger with JDK1.4.0

Posted By:   John_Davison  
Posted On:   Wednesday, June 26, 2002 09:58 AM

All our developers using 2.6 and JDK 1.4 are having this problem. Overall 2.6 is not as stable as 2.5.2. If I didn't need the JDK 1.4 support I would go back to 2.5.2.

-- John
About | Sitemap | Contact