JavaMail
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Nitin_Agrawal
Posted On:   Thursday, June 13, 2002 11:55 AM

How can I send a mail to my Hotmail account using JavaMail. I tried to use "www.hotmail.com" as the SMTP server name. I also tried to use the "smtp.mail.example.com" server name, which was provided in an example in the Sun's site. That also did not work, displaying the error "Cannot send the message." This error I got when I used the Servlets. When I used the JSP I got the error as "SMTP server unreachable."
Can anybody please help me in this.
Help will really be appreciated

Re: JavaMail

Posted By:   John_Zukowski  
Posted On:   Thursday, June 13, 2002 09:51 PM

JavaMail deosn't care where your mail is. Just address it like myaddress@hotmail.com. Send it through YOUR SMTP server, it that SMTP server will worry about getting it to HotMail.

Re: JavaMail

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:24 PM

When you send a mail to an account, for example your Hotmail account, you send it first to an SMTP (or whatever!!) server. This server then forwards it on to the destination server. You need to know the name of the mailserver used by your ISP. 'www.hotmail.com' is the URL of Hotmail's webpage and has nothing to do with mail delivery. 'smtp.mail.example.com' sounds like a made up server used for demonstration purposes. Speak to your ISP they should be able to tell you the server to use.

Regards.
About | Sitemap | Contact