Remote debug with IntelliJ part 2
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Brian_Topping
Posted On:   Friday, June 7, 2002 09:01 AM

Hi! I want to use IntelliJ to debug Apache Cocoon. It's huge, and has a bunch of libraries that I need to be able to debug. The problem is some of these libraries are compiled with 1.4 and some with 1.3. There are about ten of these source trees for the various libraries, and some of them have autogenerated code that is later compiled with javac. Because of this, the libraries are built with ant, not by just compiling all the sources in a directory subtree. How can I get Idea to skip compilation and just go directly to the remote debugger port? JSwat can do this just fine, and JSwat is free. Is there something that can be done to facilitate this? I might have to start evaluating other IDEs (like j   More>>

Hi!

I want to use IntelliJ to debug Apache Cocoon. It's huge, and has a bunch of libraries that I need to be able to debug. The problem is some of these libraries are compiled with 1.4 and some with 1.3. There are about ten of these source trees for the various libraries, and some of them have autogenerated code that is later compiled with javac. Because of this, the libraries are built with ant, not by just compiling all the sources in a directory subtree.

How can I get Idea to skip compilation and just go directly to the remote debugger port? JSwat can do this just fine, and JSwat is free.

Is there something that can be done to facilitate this? I might have to start evaluating other IDEs (like jDeveloper, which also has some limited refactoring) if this cannot be fixed.

Thanks for your consideration,

Brian

<<Less

Re: Remote debug with IntelliJ part 2

Posted By:   Eugene_Zhuravlev  
Posted On:   Monday, June 10, 2002 12:12 AM

Hi Brian,

In order to attach with IDEA to already running process, just create a "Remote" run configuration in "File | Project Properties | Run/Debug". Then start the remote process with the VM parameters mentioned in the Remote configuration dialog, for example
-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005
This assumes that you will connect to the debuggee using port 5005. After the process you want to debug is running, you can attach to it with IDEA's debugger by invoking "Debug" action (the "Remote" run configuration you created should be the active run/debug configuration).

Best regards,

Eugene Zhuravlev

JetBrains, Inc / IntelliJ Software, http://www.intellij.com

"Develop with pleasure!"
About | Sitemap | Contact