Use case: how make the first use case?
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   marco_rossi
Posted On:   Tuesday, May 21, 2002 08:08 AM

Hi to all... i'm new to UML and i need to document a program. The program let a user to: -insert,delete,modify Customers -insert,delete,modify articles of the warehouse -insert,delete,modify orders for a customers and print a copy of the orders The data is stored in a database. What i can put in the first use case diagram? An actor (the user of the program) and three use case called "Customers management", "warehouse management" and "orders management" ? Customers management < > the three use case called "insert Customer" , "delete customer" , "modify Customer" ? And how the use cases "delete customer" , "insert customer   More>>

Hi to all... i'm new to UML and i need to document a program. The program let a user to:
-insert,delete,modify Customers -insert,delete,modify articles of the warehouse -insert,delete,modify orders for a customers and print a copy of the orders

The data is stored in a database.

What i can put in the first use case diagram? An actor (the user of the program) and three use case called "Customers management", "warehouse management" and "orders management" ?

Customers management < > the three use case called "insert Customer" , "delete customer" , "modify Customer" ?

And how the use cases "delete customer" , "insert customer" and "modify costomer" can be represents ? (they need to be decomposed in other use cases or not? for example, for delete a customer, the actor need to select the customer from a list, then press the delete button...)

Please help... and many thanks to all!!

<<Less

Re: Use case: how make the first use case?

Posted By:   irfan_mansha  
Posted On:   Monday, June 24, 2002 11:05 PM

First of get and list down functional requirements of ur system. Try to write use case to describe user requirements.
Its up to u that how many requirements u wrapp in one use case. Use case also represents a task or business process.

take care,

irfan mansha.

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Tuesday, May 21, 2002 11:38 PM

Whom are you creating the documentation for? Why will they look into the documentation - what will they want to accomplish? What do they need to know? These are the questions you should ask first, as they will have strong impact on the type and preciseness of the documentation. See "Model With A Purpose" at the AM principles.

Also notice that a Use Case diagram is not the only way to depict system requirements - and probably isn't even sufficient. You should take a look at some alternatives.

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Tuesday, May 21, 2002 09:00 AM

Think of a use case as a little "story", and keep thinking from the perspective of the person, who is actually trying to use your stuff to accomplish something (a "meaningful result" in the UML references).

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away, there was a person who sat down to use your system. Here's what they wanted to do, and here's what happened.

For the different kinds of things they want to do, there are different little stories, and these become different use cases.

When someone sits down at your system, do they first decide, hmm today do I want to do some "customer management" or "warehouse management" or maybe do I want to do some "orders management" instead?

If so, then yes you could start with those three at the top in your first diagrams.

But, does someone ever need to accomplish something which involves more than one of those, in the same session?

Maybe they need to track an order, for a customer, involving warehouse status, all together?

... and so on ...

About | Sitemap | Contact