Transform XML to Database
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Ray_Clough
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 15, 2002 04:23 PM

I'm not very experienced with XML, so this may be a question with an obvious answer, but looking thru the forums doesn't answer it. Is there a good solution for taking an XML Document with a schema (or a DTD) and parsing it in such a way that it is safe to automatically create tables and load the XML data into those tables. The other Direction, ie Tables-into-XML is fairly easy. I'm sure this is much harder, if not impossible. I've seen discussion about stuffing the XML into a CLOB or BLOB, but I'm interested in a technique for determining a reasonable data structure from the Schema and implementing that in a Relational DB. Sounds pretty tricky to me. Maybe someone has already written a book on it, but I don't k   More>>

I'm not very experienced with XML, so this may be a question with an obvious answer, but looking thru the forums
doesn't answer it.

Is there a good solution for taking an XML Document with a schema (or a DTD) and parsing it in such a way that it is safe to automatically create tables and load the XML data into those tables. The other Direction, ie Tables-into-XML is fairly easy. I'm sure this is much harder, if not impossible.

I've seen discussion about stuffing the XML into a CLOB or BLOB, but I'm interested in a technique for determining a reasonable data structure from the Schema and implementing that in a Relational DB. Sounds pretty tricky to me. Maybe someone has already written a book on it, but I don't know.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

- Ray Clough

ray.c.clough@boeing.com

<<Less

Re: Transform XML to Database

Posted By:   irfan_mansha  
Posted On:   Monday, May 20, 2002 12:59 AM

If u r using SQL Server 2002 then there is no need to worry.

SQL S2002 automatically creates tables and load xml data inot these tables.

It maps element name into table name and attributes of element into table columns.

It can also return data in form of xml structure which is stored in tabular form in relational db.

If u r not using SQL S2002 but u can follow its mapping approach to perform ur task.

XSLT is best source to acheive this goal.

I think that it would help u.

Take care,

Irfan Mansha
About | Sitemap | Contact