What to do after certification?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   William_DeCero
Posted On:   Monday, May 13, 2002 01:37 PM

I am studying for JSCP. I have never been paid to program in Java. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a job using Java without any experieince

Re: What to do after certification?

Posted By:   Dave_Pellatt  
Posted On:   Monday, June 24, 2002 06:34 AM

Complete your SCJP and then do the SCJD too. If you can, combine it with a vendor certification like BEA or IBM to show some product knowledge.

There is no substitute for experience but anyone who has done both SCJP and SCJD knows what's required; so they might just give you an interview if your CV lands on their desk...

You might have to offer to work for peanuts for six months (especially in the current climate) but having the certifications certainly won't harm your chances of landing that first Java job.

Good luck!

Dave Pellatt

SCJP, SCJD & SCJA

Re: What to do after certification?

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Thursday, June 13, 2002 10:11 AM

Not to disappoint you, but truth is in todays market just having a SCJP will not help you to find a JAVA programming job.

Most of the recruiters will ask for 1 to 2 years experience. Also you have more chances of finding a job if you know OOPs, UML, RUP, XML and related technologies. Another way of selling your java knowledge could be with your domain expertise, i.e. say, if you have solid banking experience, recruiters from financial sector might find your java knowledge of some interest to them as you have domain expertise also.

HTH,

Ashok.
About | Sitemap | Contact