CVS Integration question...
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Dustin_Callaway
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:10 AM

I recently enabled CVS integration using IDEA. However, after configuring CVS and downloading a few modules I noticed that none of the code in my working directory was marked as read-only (even though I did not have these files checked out). Likewise, whenever I checked out (edit) and checked in (submitted) a file, IDEA would not automatically toggle its read-only property. I finally discovered that selecting the "Make new working files read-only" option on the "Advanced" tab of the CVS integration dialog box enabled everything to work as I expected it should (i.e., files that aren't checked out are read-only [showing a lock on the file in the editor]). Is this working as designed? If so, my suggestion would be to make the   More>>

I recently enabled CVS integration using IDEA. However, after configuring CVS and downloading a few modules I noticed that none of the code in my working directory was marked as read-only (even though I did not have these files checked out). Likewise, whenever I checked out (edit) and checked in (submitted) a file, IDEA would not automatically toggle its read-only property. I finally discovered that selecting the "Make new working files read-only" option on the "Advanced" tab of the CVS integration dialog box enabled everything to work as I expected it should (i.e., files that aren't checked out are read-only [showing a lock on the file in the editor]).

Is this working as designed? If so, my suggestion would be to make the "Make new working files read-only" option checked by default since this seems to be the more common way to work with a version control system.

<<Less

Re: CVS Integration question...

Posted By:   William_Pietri  
Posted On:   Sunday, May 19, 2002 04:32 PM

Is this working as designed?

Yes. The optimistic locking is the way that CVS works by default, and it's how most people use CVS. What happens if two developers work on the same file? CVS tries to merge the changes on check-in; if the changes collide then the second developer is asked to sort things out manually.

If you're used to a different style of working, this sounds crazy, but it works very well in practice. For more details, see the CVS intro at http://www.cvshome.org/new_users.html.

About | Sitemap | Contact