Problem with updating .ear archive after importing to WebLogic 6.1
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Tony_Fagan
Posted On:   Monday, April 29, 2002 10:32 AM

Hi, I'm new to Weblogic 6.1 and noticed that when I import my application (.ear archive) into WL, it stays as an .ear archive (i.e. WL does not unzip the archive), whereas IBM Websphere will unzip the archive and create the corresponding directory structure. My problem is, my application creates its own log file and writes to this regularly. The path to the log file is actually INSIDE the .ear archive, which means that on IBM Websphere (which expands the .ear to a directory structure), this is not a problem, because the path exists in the file system. However, on BEA WL6.1, the .ear is not unzipped and the path required for my log file does not actually exist in the file system (and WL6 cannot create the log file inside the .ear archive!)    More>>

Hi,

I'm new to Weblogic 6.1 and noticed that when I import my application (.ear archive) into WL, it stays as an .ear archive (i.e. WL does not unzip the archive), whereas IBM Websphere will unzip the archive and create the corresponding directory structure.

My problem is, my application creates its own log file and writes to this regularly. The path to the log file is actually INSIDE the .ear archive, which means that on IBM Websphere (which expands the .ear to a directory structure), this is not a problem, because the path exists in the file system. However, on BEA WL6.1, the .ear is not unzipped and the path required for my log file does not actually exist in the file system (and WL6 cannot create the log file inside the .ear archive!)

I could probably change the app so that it's log file is created e.g. on C:logs, but the log file belongs only to my app, and it makes sense that it is created somewhere in the directory structure of the web application. I can't imagine that mine is the first app to create a log file, so I would like to know what the usual approach is to solving this problem.

Many thanks in advance (hope I explained it clearly!)

Tony Fagan

<<Less

Re: Problem with updating .ear archive after importing to WebLogic 6.1

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Monday, April 29, 2002 12:57 PM

This is a topic covered in the Servlet specification. Unfortunately, people seem to be creating their own data files inside the web application directory structure, which is not supported accross the board. The spec is clear about the fact that web apps can be executed directly from the war file OR unpacked. The spec also has provision for *temporary* work files: see SRV.3.7.1 in version 2.3 of the servlet spec. I also remember reading somewhere (couldn't find it) that the container is not required to grant you access to the entire native file system. So, again be warned (I have been using the "c:webappdatafile.txt" or "/usr/webapp/datafile.txt" approach myself) that it may not always work...

In my mind, this is an area of the spec that needs some work, as many web-applications use some type of custom log files or data files.

cheers,
laurent

About | Sitemap | Contact