dcsimg
Character Sets and Encoding Methods Question
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   tuns_99_tuns_99
Posted On:   Thursday, April 25, 2002 11:10 AM

I am in the process of building a 3-tier JSP-Servlets based application with potential international users (including CJK). And, I am just learning about Internationalization. I have been reading so much about Character Sets and Encoding Methods and my question at this point is : Can I stick to UTF-8 encoding across my entire application, be it for creating Resource Bundles, reading Resource Bundles or Storing data into the DB etc. ? What do I stand to lose in doing so? Why does'nt everybody do this and why is so much being said about conversion from one encoding to another? Any reasons beyond encoding methods adopted in legacy data and applications? Thanks    More>>

I am in the process of building a 3-tier JSP-Servlets based application with potential international users (including CJK). And, I am just learning about Internationalization.

I have been reading so much about Character Sets and Encoding Methods and my question at this point is :

Can I stick to UTF-8 encoding across my entire application, be it for creating Resource Bundles, reading Resource Bundles or Storing data into the DB etc. ?

What do I stand to lose in doing so? Why does'nt everybody do this and why is so much being said about conversion from one encoding to another? Any reasons beyond encoding methods adopted in legacy data and applications?

Thanks

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact