Which logging facility is best (Log4j, Jylog, Syslog, java.util.logging, ...)?
4 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Roman_Roemer
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 23, 2002 04:08 AM

Please correct my assumptions and tell me your opinion: java.util.logging is integrated in the JDK 1.4, but it is not very flexible and isn't it likely to change to JDK 1.5 although its not a javax-package as I've read many comments of unsatisfied developers? Log4j means an additional package of about 400 KB in the project and is about 3 times slower at distinguishing whether to log a message or not. Therefore it provides all the functionality you would ever expect from a logging framework. Syslog is nearly the same as Log4j, but it is not used in that many projects. Jylog seems to be deprecated and not used in new projects anymore. So what is    More>>

Please correct my assumptions and tell me your opinion:

java.util.logging is integrated in the JDK 1.4, but it is not very flexible and isn't it likely to change to JDK 1.5 although its not a javax-package as I've read many comments of unsatisfied developers?

Log4j means an additional package of about 400 KB in the project and is about 3 times slower at distinguishing whether to log a message or not. Therefore it provides all the functionality you would ever expect from a logging framework.

Syslog is nearly the same as Log4j, but it is not used in that many projects.

Jylog seems to be deprecated and not used in new projects anymore.

So what is best, I really do not know...

Can anybody tell me?

<<Less

Re: Which logging facility is best (Log4j, Jylog, Syslog, java.util.logging, ...)?

Posted By:   David_Cole  
Posted On:   Saturday, April 27, 2002 08:30 AM

A nice addition to this list is Commons-Logging which, like Log4J, is available through Jakarta.

Commons-Logging acts as a wrapper which provides the ability to switch your underlying implementation from Log4J to java.util.Logging with a simple propety change.

Because java.util.Logging is still somewhat immature compared to that of Log4J, this might be a good choice for you if you later intend to switch to java.util.Logging when it matures.

Dave

Re: Which logging facility is best (Log4j, Jylog, Syslog, java.util.logging, ...)?

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 23, 2002 09:59 AM

Approach choosing an API in much the same way as you'd approach (well, hopefully anyway!!) choosing any other software package. Write down an unambiguous list of your requirements and then compare them with the features of each available package. In the end anyone's choice is dependant on their particular set of needs at a specific point in time. Just because five people say 'we love package A' doesn't mean that it will be the best for you or for your project.

Regards.

Posted By:   John_Guthrie  
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 23, 2002 08:27 AM

I'd vote log4j. It's powerful, well-supported, and fairly easy to get started with.

I've been using log4j for a year and a half, but am in a project now where we are using the new java.util.logging stuff, and I am disappointed in it. As I posted yesterday, documentation on setting up a useful properties file is non-existent. I hadn't realized that java.util.logging was such an uncooked package.

Posted By:   Bozidar_Dangubic  
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 23, 2002 06:19 AM

well, you provided pros and cons yourself so pick your poison. you are right in analysis of what is available. so you have to pick. if you do not like any of the option that you have at your disposal, build one yourself. I have been using log4j in many applications but for one we have built our own logger which works exactly the way we want it to work. so if log4j or syslog are not satisfactory for you, i.e. if you cannot live with the drawbacks of having them on board, then you will likely have to build one yourself. If you do not have the time or resources to do that, then I suggest log4j.
About | Sitemap | Contact