Why To Use Application Server?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Abdul_Basheer
Posted On:   Monday, April 22, 2002 05:45 AM

I have got an application to develop where in clients across the globe need to access my forms and key in data. The data needs to be put in the central server. This data is further processed. Currently, each client has got a Foxpro application, which maintains the transactions data (done at the clients place) and other backup data. Any problem at the client in the application is solved too late. But the updation to the central site is done through floppies. (say fortnightly) The new (proposed) application shall be accessed simultanously from numerous clients across the globe. My application must be capable of handling all the requests and still be robust. Since the users are of less knowledge, the clients must be li   More>>

I have got an application to develop where in clients across the globe need to access my forms and key in data.
The data needs to be put in the central server.
This data is further processed.

Currently, each client has got a Foxpro application, which maintains the transactions data (done at the clients place) and other backup data. Any problem at the client in the application is solved too late.
But the updation to the central site is done through floppies. (say fortnightly)

The new (proposed) application shall be accessed simultanously from numerous clients across the globe. My application must be capable of handling all the requests and still be robust. Since the users are of less knowledge, the clients must be light-weight and user-friendly.

IN SUCH A SCENARIO, IS IT WORTHWHILE TO GO FOR JAVA / JSP / EJB OR JUST DO WITH ORACLE DEVELOPER FORMS(8i/9i WEB FORMS)
Purchase of Application Server, no problem at all.

Please go through the requirement carefully and give a justified answer.
The issue of connectivity: I have got a leased line network to the client end.

Queries welcomed

Thanking you in advance.

<<Less

Re: Why To Use Application Server?

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Monday, April 22, 2002 06:11 PM

If your knowledge of Java and the application servers is such that you feel the need to ask for an external opinion, you might want to hire someone (through this site or from somewhere else) to make the recommendation, and eventually perform the job for you. This solution might be easier on yourself and the final user, and give you an opportunity to learn in the process.

If on the other hand, you are a student, and this is an assignement for a class, I would suggest that you reconsider your original choice for the class that gave you the assignement.

cheers,

About | Sitemap | Contact