Web Services and J2ME
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Steve_Mayzak
Posted On:   Thursday, April 18, 2002 09:16 AM

Is Web Services a viable option when talking about developing an App using the PersonalJava Profile? I am in the research phase right now but was wondering if anyone has used Web Services with J2ME Applications?

Re: Web Services and J2ME

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Thursday, April 18, 2002 09:51 PM

Hi,

I am not sure whether I have understood your question fully, but I thought you are referencing to MIDP by using the term PersonalJava Profile.

Any how, I am sharing my experience below.

I have used web services of WebLogic, and IIS5.0 in separate projects to develop a wireless interface for an ERP system(which is BaanERP).

Actually, according to MIDP specs and also according to the reference implementation by Sun Microsystems, Http protocol is very much supported.

You can do Get, Post, Head methods quite successfully. According to my experience, Servlet container and JSP engine of any application server are quite easily accessible by any J2ME compliant device which has MIDP referernce implementation istalled on it.

MIDP1.0 reference works quite good. And I have deployed my solution on Sony Clie S320, and Palm m505 which incidentally has Palm OS4.1 (whihc is latest as of today).

I also heard of other MIDP and CLDC implementation like from IBM, JBed and couple of others, but I like the flavour of original Java.(espresso!!!!!!!!!! on top of cappuccino is J2ME!!!!!)

Thanx,
Venkatesh.
About | Sitemap | Contact