Application server patterns
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 17, 2002 11:08 AM

I'm currently looking to develop/investigate what the best method to build an "application server" that essentially services wireless devices. What I'm looking to do is build a server that will handle the connections and dispatch service requests such as retrieving stock quotes(one component) or attaching to an msn messenger server(another component that requires 2way communication). I've actually built the infrastructure to do this and it works, but I'm looking at more "best practice" solutions to achieve similar "patterns". What would be better? I'm open to all of your wisdom and technical "pattern" prowess.

cheers

Re: Application server patterns

Posted By:   Steve_Long  
Posted On:   Monday, May 20, 2002 05:26 AM

perhaps i can offer something to assist in your approach more than direct input on your query.

i beleive it helps to realize that "best" is a fiction. what one has to do is realize everything is a tradeoff. identify the specific items where you want to bring improvements and optimize in those areas, realizing you may very well end up sacrificing in other areas.

the fundamental trade-off in computer science is memory and speed. one can make an process execute faster by using more data structures, or one can conserve memory by doing more computation. [these constraints may be altered once quantum computers are generally available, but until then...]

in the wireless/portable component market, one has to deal with weight, size, power, heat, etc. in the server arena, one will have to deal with bandwidth, through-put, capacity, etc.

the up-shot is first have clearly defined objectives for your app server. what improvements or innovations do you want to develop? then identify the parameters. once you have a clear defintion of where you are going, the other areas become easier to focus on.

enjoy!

About | Sitemap | Contact