VAJ 3.5.3 debugger crashes IDE when examining variables
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   david_taylor
Posted On:   Friday, April 5, 2002 07:21 AM

Myself and a couple of collegues are sometimes having trouble with the debugger in VAJ 3.5.3. I've been using VAJ for 6 months, and have now hit this problem. I set up a breakpoint, run the code, the debugger kicks in. All is fine up to now. I can then step through the code in all the normal ways. BUT! When I try and examine any variable, either through the variable window (where there is sometimes an object hierarchy), or using 'inspect', the IDE completely freezes and I have to shut down the IDE process. I've been working on the same project for 2 weeks now, and it's only since yesterday the problem has started occurring. To try and solve the problem, I've tried clearing t   More>>

Myself and a couple of collegues are sometimes having trouble with the debugger in VAJ 3.5.3. I've been using VAJ for 6 months, and have now hit this problem.

I set up a breakpoint, run the code, the debugger kicks in. All is fine up to now. I can then step through the code in all the normal ways.

BUT! When I try and examine any variable, either through the variable window (where there is sometimes an object hierarchy), or using 'inspect', the IDE completely freezes and I have to shut down the IDE process.

I've been working on the same project for 2 weeks now, and it's only since yesterday the problem has started occurring.

To try and solve the problem, I've tried clearing the disk and memory cache. I've removed the project and brought it back into the IDE. I've rebooted. Have I missed something?

Has anyone come across this problem before?

<<Less

Re: VAJ 3.5.3 debugger crashes IDE when examining variables

Posted By:   Eric_Rizzo  
Posted On:   Friday, April 5, 2002 09:20 PM

There are a couple of things I can think of:

1. Is it the same type of object that keeps giving the trouble? If so, it could be a problem with that class' toString() method (toString() gets called by the debugger and inspector to render the object when it is selected)
  2. Unexplainable, non-normal behavior is often a sign of a corrupt workspace file. You could try replacing it as described in the FAQ: I have read about replacing the workspace file ide.icx with a "clean" or "fresh" one. How do I do that?
About | Sitemap | Contact