dcsimg
<strong>Is C/C++ a server side language programming?</strong>
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Luca_Ventura
Posted On:   Monday, March 25, 2002 12:16 AM

Hello everybody! I would like to know if there is some technology for server side programming based on C/C++ language . That is to say: I know that for server side programming I can use tecnologies such as CGI, ASP, JSP, Servlet ecc. but they don't use C/C++ language.... The thing I want exactly to know is if there is some tecnology (supported by Web Servers) that let me to program a Web Server (that is to say an Internet application on server side) using C/C++ in the same way I can do with Servlets using Java. I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance! Luca    More>>

Hello everybody!

I would like to know if there is some technology for server side programming based on C/C++ language . That is to say: I know that for server side programming I can use tecnologies such as CGI, ASP, JSP, Servlet ecc. but they don't use C/C++ language....

The thing I want exactly to know is if there is some tecnology (supported by Web Servers) that let me to program a Web Server (that is to say an Internet application on server side) using C/C++ in the same way I can do with Servlets using Java.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance!

Luca

<<Less

Re: <strong>Is C/C++ a server side language programming?</strong>

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Monday, March 25, 2002 11:03 PM

this month's issue of Dr Dobbs journal has a very interesting article about a C++ framework for doing server side development. The framework was built to mimic as closely as possible the Java servlet specification, to allow easy migration of Java code to C++. Check it out.

This is the framework itself

cheers,
laurent

Re: <strong>Is C/C++ a server side language programming?</strong>

Posted By:   Bozidar_Dangubic  
Posted On:   Monday, March 25, 2002 05:54 AM

short answer is no. you are talking about http request-response mechanism that is built into JSPs and Servlets but is not available in C/C++. you could potentially write all the functionality in C/C++ and use servlets/JSPs to simply forward the request to your C/C++ program(s) that you can load via JNI or use some other Java technology (like JMS) to integrate your C/C++ application with the java-based web application. but this is no good unless you are integrating a legacy system written in C/C++ and you cannot rewrite the code for whatever reason. if you are starting from scratch, you should not use C/C++. it is just not well suited for building web applications.
About | Sitemap | Contact