Should I use Jakarta HTTPClient for HttpURLConnection?
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Amos_Shapira
Posted On:   Tuesday, March 19, 2002 11:33 PM

We are currently using HTTP-Client 0.3-2E for client-side HTTP connections. (I am aware that there is also version 0.3-3, but we haven't got around to switch to it yet). This is done because the JDK 1.2 HTTPURLConnection class seemed to be buggy. I now discovered that there is a Jakarta Commons project which also implements these interfaces. As far as I understand, JDK 1.3 and up is supposed to fix the problems in JDK 1.2. We currently do not plan to upgrade to JDK 1.3 since we are not sure how much this is recommanded for stability's sake (we use servlets for 99% of our code). Is there any good reason to switch to the Jakrta implementation? How is the built-in    More>>

We are currently using HTTP-Client 0.3-2E for client-side HTTP connections. (I am aware that there is also version 0.3-3, but we haven't got around to switch to it yet).

This is done because the JDK 1.2 HTTPURLConnection class seemed to be buggy.

I now discovered that there is a Jakarta Commons project which also implements these interfaces.

As far as I understand, JDK 1.3 and up is supposed to fix the problems in JDK 1.2.

We currently do not plan to upgrade to JDK 1.3 since we are not sure how much this is recommanded for stability's sake (we use servlets for 99% of our code).

Is there any good reason to switch to the Jakrta implementation? How is the built-in implementation of JDK 1.3? If it's fixed then why do people keep maintaining stand-alone implementations of this? Maybe because of situations like ours - wanting to stick to JDK 1.2 longer?

Thanks.

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact