dcsimg
Rose: From UML to code - the shortest reliable path? The Use of Use Cases for code?
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   A_srey
Posted On:   Wednesday, March 13, 2002 02:32 AM

I've just spent 12 hours entering in a Collaboration Diagram into Rational Rose 98 (It was a decent sized diagram), and was pleasantly surprised to see it generate an interaction diagram at the click of a button. What I'm a little concerned about is how all this really helps me get Java Classes generated. What is the relationship in Rose between Use Cases and the Class Diagram view? Particularly for the "Actors" in the Use Case diagrams. The Use Cases I drew previously for this project are there, and serve a purpose, the collaboration diagrams look great, and we got a lot of use of them in our Software Spec document. However, I'm finding out that I have to do a lot of additions to the Class /Logical View diagram...    More>>

I've just spent 12 hours entering in a Collaboration Diagram into Rational Rose 98 (It was a decent sized diagram), and was pleasantly surprised to see it generate an interaction diagram at the click of a button.

What I'm a little concerned about is how all this really helps me get Java Classes generated. What is the relationship in Rose between Use Cases and the Class Diagram view? Particularly for the "Actors" in the Use Case diagrams.

The Use Cases I drew previously for this project are there, and serve a purpose, the collaboration diagrams look great, and we got a lot of use of them in our Software Spec document.

However, I'm finding out that I have to do a lot of additions to the Class /Logical View diagram...

So, when it comes to the code, I'm guessing Rose is only just a little more advanced than the traditional "cut/paste/edit" for writing up class structures...

Is there something I'm missing here?

The modelling/design path from Use Cases to Collaboration Diagrams to Logical and Component views seems incoherent... each new view requires additional information, which is definitely a positive thing, but I don't see how the all relate directly to the class diagrams. The best result I've gotten so far is that all the diagram work that preludes the Class Diagram view is good at identifying the main classes in the project, and the Class view is there to complete the finer level of detail prior to code generation... is this assumption correct? is there a smarter way to use Rose for code generation?(Java)???

Please go easy on me here, as I haven't used Rose for a few years now and back then, it was just for the diagrams, not code generation.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact