I'd like to be able to encrypt a data file in an applet to be uploaded to a servlet. Needs to work with IE5.5+.
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Phil_McMillion
Posted On:   Tuesday, March 5, 2002 01:21 PM

I would like to encrypt large data files on a client site and upload to a servlet. I've created a signed applet (in a cab file), which allows me to open up a local file, do some spot validation, and then upload the file to a servlet via a socket. I've been able to use streams to compress/decompress the data, and now I'd like to be able to also encrypt/decrypt the data. I'm trying to find out what I need to package in the applet cab file to store the necessary encryption/security files. I'm assuming a user will use IE5.5+ and does NOT have any java plug-ins (applet code uses jdk 1.1.8). My preference is to use SSL socket connection, but explicit encryption (using CipherInputStream?) is also possible. A backup plan if al   More>>

I would like to encrypt large data files on a client site and upload to a servlet.

I've created a signed applet (in a cab file), which allows me to open up a local file, do some spot validation, and then upload the file to a servlet via a socket. I've been able to use streams to compress/decompress the data, and now I'd like to be able to also encrypt/decrypt the data. I'm trying to find out what I need to package in the applet cab file to store the necessary encryption/security files. I'm assuming a user will use IE5.5+ and does NOT have any java plug-ins (applet code uses jdk 1.1.8).

My preference is to use SSL socket connection, but explicit encryption (using CipherInputStream?) is also possible. A backup plan if all else fails is to use a regular form upload mechanism (over HTTPS), but I'd prefer not to go this route as I wouldn't have the ability to compress the data.

When I'm testing my applet and I try to add a provider:

Provider sunjce = new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider();
Security.addProvider(sunjce);

I get the following exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.security.PrivilegedAction
at com/ms/vm/loader/URLClassLoader.loadClass (URLClassLoader.java)
at java/lang/ClassLoader.loadClassInternal (ClassLoader.java)
at com/sun/net/ssl/internal/ssl/Provider. ([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
at com/medstat/dbo/dataac/applet/DaApplet.init (DaApplet.java:257)
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedCall0 (AppletPanel.java)
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedCall (AppletPanel.java)
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent (AppletPanel.java)
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent (AppletPanel.java)
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.run (AppletPanel.java)
at java/lang/Thread.run (Thread.java)

Any ideas, suggestions??

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact