Tree Structure and Applets
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   innum_onenu
Posted On:   Monday, February 4, 2002 05:18 AM

Hello, We are developing a web-app wherin some pages require information(data) to be displayed in a Tree structure(Windows Explorer left pane type). Now, the implementation technology could be either, 1. Using Javascript, HTML and Frames 2. Java Applets developed in AWT(all the images done in the paint method) 3. Swing Java Applets using JTree component. What are all the factors one should determine to choose from these?? The requirement is number of nodes could be atleast 1000. Most importantly the data for the tree is not constant ie. it depends on what the user wants to see, so there could be concurrent users who may select to view different things displayed in a tree form. S   More>>

Hello,

We are developing a web-app wherin some pages require information(data) to be displayed in a Tree structure(Windows Explorer left pane type). Now, the implementation technology could be either,

1. Using Javascript, HTML and Frames

2. Java Applets developed in AWT(all the images done in the paint method)

3. Swing Java Applets using JTree component.

What are all the factors one should determine to choose from these??

The requirement is number of nodes could be atleast 1000. Most importantly the data for the tree is not constant ie. it depends on what the user wants to see, so there could be concurrent users who may select to view different things displayed in a tree form. So it is NOT possible to create a file in some format(may be XML) and then access this file always to display the tree. The data is dynamic. How this can be achieved for all the 3 possible implementations mentioned above??

In applets which of the following is suitable and why,

1. Create a dynamic XML file per client and give the file name as PARAM to applet. In the applet establish a URL connection to this file and fetch the data.

Problem: Client needs to have the XML Parser classes also apart from applet jar (what will be the download size of XML Parsers?)
For every client the file is created in the server, when should it be deleted? and How?

2. Access a Servlet from the applet, get a Serialized java object and use it.

Kindly explain all the points with possible links, code etc.

Thanks!

<<Less

Re: Tree Structure and Applets

Posted By:   Guanglin_du  
Posted On:   Wednesday, March 20, 2002 10:36 PM

This is a problem that is going to bother me soon since I'm developing a Browser-Server application. Though I cannot give you much concrete advice, I think that your 2nd idea might be the best choice.

You can search this jguru.com web site for topics that might be of help, such as "applet-servlet comminication". To collect and study the concerning resources might lead you to the best decision.

Best wishes!

About | Sitemap | Contact