dcsimg
Sending to Exchange yields a "This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service." message
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Carey_Klenetsky
Posted On:   Tuesday, January 29, 2002 09:48 AM

Hi. I'm using JavaMail to generate messages that are sent to email recipients on an Exchange server (Exchange 5.5, SP4, to be exact). MimeMessage.setText() yields a message that reads: "This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set." whenever I have a message with extended characters (like a degrees symbol, or accented characters). An attachment is present with the contents of the message I'm trying to send. I've tried using variations of set   More>>

Hi. I'm using JavaMail to generate messages that are sent to email recipients on an Exchange server (Exchange 5.5, SP4, to be exact). MimeMessage.setText() yields a message that reads:

"This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set."

whenever I have a message with extended characters (like a degrees symbol, or accented characters).

An attachment is present with the contents of the message I'm trying to send. I've tried using variations of setText that specify encoding, and the only one that works is ASCII, except that the extended characters are replaced by questions marks. Unfortunately, the messages are generated, and I need to allow these characters.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Carey

<<Less

Re: Sending to Exchange yields a "This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service." message

Posted By:   Carey_Klenetsky  
Posted On:   Tuesday, January 29, 2002 11:24 AM

After much digging and playing around, I've found a solution:

It appears that the encoding specifiers used by Java are passed directly through to the mail header. So, specifying "UTF8" as the encoding character set ends up in the message header as Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF8

Exchange won't recognize this as valid. It expects "UTF-8" instead. So, if I specify MimeMessage.setText(text, "UTF-8") all works as expected.

About | Sitemap | Contact