dcsimg
Workspace corruption
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Eric_Rizzo
Posted On:   Monday, January 28, 2002 10:09 AM

What causes a VAJ workspace to become corrupt?

How can it be prevented?

Are the corrupt workspace problems fixed in later releases of VAJ?

Re: Workspace corruption

Posted By:   Benoit_Quintin  
Posted On:   Monday, January 28, 2002 11:25 AM

As Steven said, the problem is still crawling up here and there, but Emsrv 7.1, for VAJ 3.5.3 is much more robust, check out this site for the icx files.

Posted By:   Eric_Clayberg  
Posted On:   Monday, January 28, 2002 11:24 AM

Almost any system exception trapped by VAJ and shown in the log window is sufficient to corrupt the workspace at some level. There are almost an infinite number of gradations of corruption, however, ranging from benign (e.g., won't have any noticeable or immediate effect) to critical (e.g., crashes the environment immediately). Almost all system exceptions have the side effect of growing the base size of your workspace file by filling it with dead "junk" (e.g., dead processes, un-GC'ed windows and other resources, etc.).

Ideally, any workspace in which you have had even a single system exception should be replaced as soon as it is convenient (obviously version off your work to make it easier to reload). After you first install a clean workspace, load all of your code and install any other add-ons, you should save your workspace and make note of its size on disk. Unless you are loading lots of additional code into it, your workspace file should never grow more than a couple MB in size during normal usage. If you find your workspace file getting bigger every day or if you notice that it is more than a few MB larger than your baseline number, you are almost guaranteed to be working with a corrupt workspace that you should replace immediately. You might be OK temporarily, but it will almost always "bite" you when you least expect it or can least afford it. Replacing your workspace file every week might actually be a good rule of thumb.

There really is no way to "solve" the problem because there is no single well defined problem that causes it. One can certainly fix specific causes of workspace corruption, but that won't prevent other causes. About the only way to absolutely avoid working with a corrupt workspace is to use a fresh one for every session (and then quit and restart after any logged system exception).

Posted By:   Steven_Martin  
Posted On:   Monday, January 28, 2002 10:42 AM

The latest versions are much better about preventing that. Part of the problem is probably just the sheer size of the workspace (100 megs + often). I've had it due to deleting projects, source safe replicating, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I would back up your .icx file periodically that you could overwrite with a corrupted one at a later date. Fortunately as long as you have your ide.dat (that you should also backup) your code still lives, just not in a compiled state.

I have worked with versions 2.0, 3.0, 3.02, 3.5, 4.0. I experienced many corrupt workspaces up until 3.5 that I believe is a much stronger build of VAJ.

If replacing the icx file fails you may have to uninstall and reinstall VAJ.
About | Sitemap | Contact