Problem reading non-image files from IIS 5.0 server with NTLM authentication.
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Pete_Metherall
Posted On:   Friday, January 18, 2002 05:35 AM

I am trying to get a swing applet to read text files which are located on an IIS server with NTLM challenge-response authentication. The files are located in the same path as the class files on the server. I am using the sun plugin 1.3.1_02 and MSIE 5.0 If the file is called something like test.txt and I then try to read it using: URL url = new URL(urlString); BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(url.openStream())); I get an IOException 401 which is an authentication error. However, and this is the interesting bit, if I rename the text file test.gif it can be read without any problems. Any file with extensions .gif .jpg and   More>>

I am trying to get a swing applet to read text files which are located on an IIS server with NTLM challenge-response authentication. The files are located in the same path as the class files on the server.

I am using the sun plugin 1.3.1_02 and MSIE 5.0

If the file is called something like test.txt and I then try to read it using:

URL url = new URL(urlString);

BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(url.openStream()));

I get an IOException 401 which is an authentication error.

However, and this is the interesting bit, if I rename the text file test.gif it can be read without any problems. Any file with extensions .gif .jpg and .class can be read, all others fail!

Why? Could the plugin be delegating the transfer of these file types to the browser (and hence the NTLM authentication works) but other file types are handled by the plugin?

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact