dcsimg
Relaying mail
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Stephen_Ward
Posted On:   Friday, December 21, 2001 04:45 AM

Hi there When using our server, when we try to send email using JavaMail, we get the message relaying mail to hotmail.com is not allowed After some research I understand this is because SendMail is relaying our outgoing mail to our SMTP server (NTLWorld), and our SMTP server doesnt support relaying mail from another machine, and so gives an error. Apparently there are some servers that support relaying mail, such as those listed at http://www.sendfakemail.com/fakemail/openrelaylist.asp, but are they these servers reputable; They could be blocked by the ORBS database .... Whats the best way of getting around this problem? Is it feasable to install your own SMTP server    More>>

Hi there

When using our server, when we try to send email using JavaMail, we get the message

relaying mail to hotmail.com is not allowed

After some research I understand this is because SendMail is relaying our outgoing mail to our SMTP server (NTLWorld), and our SMTP server doesnt support relaying mail from another machine, and so gives an error.

Apparently there are some servers that support relaying mail, such as those listed at http://www.sendfakemail.com/fakemail/openrelaylist.asp, but are they these servers reputable; They could be blocked by the ORBS database ....

Whats the best way of getting around this problem? Is it feasable to install your own SMTP server on your server box, or does anyone have any suggestions as to good SMTP servres that allow relaying?

Cheers

Stephen Ward

<<Less

Re: Relaying mail

Posted By:   John_Zukowski  
Posted On:   Saturday, December 29, 2001 08:08 PM

Two things come to mind in reading your problem. Have sendmail not relay and just send the message, or connect to your NTLWorld SMTP server directly. Then, it isn't relaying really, as you're sending it directly through it. You may need to authenticate yourself also, that way it will know you as coming from inside the network vs. outside. Personally, I find installing a dedicated SMTP server as the best bet, as it provides you with the most control.
About | Sitemap | Contact