Using JMS for a multiplayer online game ?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   edouard_mannoury
Posted On:   Wednesday, December 12, 2001 05:14 AM

Hello,

I need to developp a multiplayer online board type of game.
It should use applets as clients.
As for the server, the typical way of doing it would just be to write a server side java stand alone application.

Now to cut on delays i thought that i could use a servlet based type of server and use JMS to handle the communication from the server to multiple clients at one time.

So my question is, is JMS a good solution for this, performance wise mainly as the communications need to be real time ?

Re: Using JMS for a multiplayer online game ?

Posted By:   Christopher_Schultz  
Posted On:   Wednesday, December 12, 2001 07:42 AM

You need real-time communication for an online board-game?

JMS is "just another messaging system". It can send text messages (as well as objects, binary data, etc.) from one client to another (via a server, of course).

I don't know the guarenteed level of service, but that usually depends more on the connection between the clients and the server (or the internet) than the actual messaging system itself.

If you want high-performance (real-time) communication, you'll need to take a page out of the online gaming book: use UDP to send frequent messages and don't waste time ensuring their delivery. The bet is being made that enough packets will be delivered that the game can go on without all the network traffic associated with TCP's guarenteed delivery.

If all you want is 'Chat', then JMS is going to do just fine.

-chris
About | Sitemap | Contact