dcsimg
Transaction Isolation Level.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Monday, November 26, 2001 05:23 AM

Hi all. This is the problem related to oracle database. In oracle database, there is no REPETABLE READS isolation level and DIRTY READS level. Of course, there is transaction isolation level which corresponds to SERIALIZABLE, but it's action is different from the meaning of jdbc spec. It does not gurantee that another transaction did not changed the data. Oracle database's SERIALIZABLE mode give consisitent view only and do nothing more about it. Setting SERIALIZABLE mode in oracle does not mean 'getting lock.' So, I think that jdbc's Isolation level has no meaning to ORACLE database. Am I right? If so, do I have to acquire lock manually? Does the isolation level i   More>>

Hi all.

This is the problem related to oracle database. In oracle database, there is no REPETABLE READS isolation level and DIRTY READS level.

Of course, there is transaction isolation level which corresponds to SERIALIZABLE, but it's action is different from the meaning of jdbc spec.

It does not gurantee that another transaction did not changed the data. Oracle database's SERIALIZABLE mode give consisitent view only and do nothing more about it. Setting SERIALIZABLE mode in oracle does not mean 'getting lock.'

So, I think that jdbc's Isolation level has no meaning to ORACLE database.

Am I right? If so, do I have to acquire lock manually? Does the isolation level in jdbc really database independant?

<<Less

Re: Transaction Isolation Level.

Posted By:   Bozidar_Dangubic  
Posted On:   Monday, November 26, 2001 05:49 AM

well, transaction isolation level is just that - it is the isolation level given to a transaction that is being executed. locking is another issue. if you want locking, you need to implement it. transaction isolation level in JDBC is not there for database-independent locking during transaction. it is there to specify how will a single client transaction handle database communication, i.e. during the transaction, what will be data read from the database. this is implemented in the driver and not on the database side. there is no database-independent way to do table locking from J2EE so you have to implement that yourself and it will not be database-independent (most likely since each RDBMS handles locking different than another RDBMS).
About | Sitemap | Contact