Opinon: to change a client schema or not?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Sunday, November 4, 2001 09:24 PM

Hi there, I need an opinion on the above matter. Due to differences in various providers (namely Active Directory, Oracle, Netscape, Novell), I find that I might need to add an application specific attribute in the client record (say a person or a group). There is not a problem at all if I have full control on the LDAP database. The problem (more like a potential problem in terms of politics-wise) is if I am trying to install our software to an existing client site (they have their own LDAP database). Does the reader think that in most cases, the client site administrator would allow me to change their existing schema? Your opinion is most appreciative. Thank you in advance.    More>>

Hi there,

I need an opinion on the above matter. Due to differences in various providers (namely Active Directory, Oracle, Netscape, Novell), I find that I might need to add an application specific attribute in the client record (say a person or a group). There is not a problem at all if I have full control on the LDAP database.

The problem (more like a potential problem in terms of politics-wise) is if I am trying to install our software to an existing client site (they have their own LDAP database). Does the reader think that in most cases, the client site administrator would allow me to change their existing schema? Your opinion is most appreciative.

Thank you in advance.

<<Less

Re: Opinon: to change a client schema or not?

Posted By:   Ed_Belisle  
Posted On:   Wednesday, February 27, 2002 03:45 PM

I would avoid changing the schema if possible. I know ActiveDirectory includes ExtensionAttributes[1-15] for the organizationalPerson object, of which I used a few for my application.

Re: Opinon: to change a client schema or not?

Posted By:   Dan_Haley  
Posted On:   Friday, December 14, 2001 11:06 AM

I am considering the same problem. I can't find existing attributes or object classes that do exactly what I want, so ideally I would create a couple of new ones (by extending object class "person" for example). This seems fairly logical to me, and better than giving things existing names which aren't *quite* right.

Concerning adjusting the client's schema - I really can't see them objecting to adding my schema (using my organisations published OID arc) since they want to use my software.

If it's the other way round though and they hold all the data I want to access, I would write my software to use *their* schema.

About | Sitemap | Contact