Tomcat doesn't run... why?
4 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Dmitry_Solovyov
Posted On:   Friday, November 2, 2001 03:53 AM

I've installed java 1.3.1_01 as described on java.sun.com. It's in directory /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_01

After that I've unpacked tomcat in directory /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-4.0

I've set two variables

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_01

export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-4.0

And I've launched startup.sh in /bin directory. Tomcat is started... but when I try: http://localhost:8080 - nothing happens. Port is closed...

Please help, I don't know what to do...

Re: Tomcat doesn't run... why?

Posted By:   Michael_Lam  
Posted On:   Thursday, November 22, 2001 03:16 PM

Have the similar problem but I noticed if I use jdk1.3.0 the problem goes away. From what I can see I think the 1.3.1_01 distribution have some incompatibility with tomcat 4.0. You can see the same thing by manually launching tomcat and try to shut it down. You will see a message that the connection was refused and the exception is from java.net.Connection.

Posted By:   charlene_wroblewski  
Posted On:   Friday, November 16, 2001 05:18 AM

I am having a similar problem. I get the error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap

I'm not sure whats wrong.

Posted By:   Dong_Chen  
Posted On:   Friday, November 2, 2001 11:24 PM

What OS are you using? UNIX? I use Windows 2000 and have installed Tomcat-4.0 with jdk1.3.1_01. It works fine. There is a wrapper.properties file in 'CATALINA_HOMEconf' directory. You need to set wrapper.tomcat_home= and wrapper.java_home=. Another thing you may try is to give different port number other than 8080 in the server.xml file, because the port 8080 may be used already in your computer.

Dong

Posted By:   Richard_li  
Posted On:   Friday, November 2, 2001 02:30 PM

I got similar problem. but it does show some error message like the following:

[1]+ Segmentation fault $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $CATALINA_OPTS -classpath $CP -Dcatalin
a.base=$CATALINA_BASE -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstra
p "$@" start >>$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out 2>&1

Do not know what is going on. The file structure of 4.0 is so different from previous version. Doc is very simple. Need help. Thanks

Richard
About | Sitemap | Contact