How to invoke a java application in C drive from HTML ?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Jason_Peng
Posted On:   Tuesday, October 30, 2001 12:01 AM

I have a java application xxx.jar, which reads a parameter file xxx.par.

xxx.jar is in C drive and the parameter file xxx.par is in the http server side. What I need to add in the html code to invoke the java application ?

Thanks.

Re: How to invoke a java application in C drive from HTML ?

Posted By:   Luigi_Viggiano  
Posted On:   Tuesday, October 30, 2001 12:23 AM

Using just HTML (or JavaScript) it's impossible, at least if you don't have some sort of listener on the client side. But there's a nice and elegant solution proposed by Sun, with Java Web Start. It is composed by a client java application "java web start" (let's call JWS) that interacts with the browser registering a mime type "jnlp", and when the browser opens a jnlp (with a click on an image or an href for example) its stream it passes the control to JWS that reading it learns from where to download/update the appplication to start. So it handles much more than just starting local apps (providing a good way to handle software distribution and updates).

I strongly recommend you to give this a look, and to not waste time re-inventing the same thing.

Here I'm working with a bad-designed (hoping my chief won't read this...) legacy app that listens on port 80 on the client side and gets requests from the browser (using href="localhost?app=xyz") to launch applications on the client disk. This is not nice because requires a service (web) listening on the client all the time with the overhead of the jvm (and wasting lot memory). Also this does not solve software distribution, updates, and implies also an administration of the launching tool at the client and a the server side.

About | Sitemap | Contact