Development tools
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Paul_Griffin
Posted On:   Thursday, October 25, 2001 09:35 AM

I'm starting a project involving the development of Enterprise Javabeans.
I'm new to Java in general so my first task is to establish a development environment. I currently have Visuall J++ 6.0 standard edition installed and i'm wondering wether this will be suitable. I've had problems using Swing but i think i've discovered a way around that, any further advice would be helpful though. Am i waisting my time using Visual J++ or should i be using JBuilder?

Re: Development tools

Posted By:   Luigi_Viggiano  
Posted On:   Friday, October 26, 2001 05:32 PM

JBuilder (4 or 5) Enterprise Edition, don't use a restricted license as many wizards and tools are only aivable on enterprise edition. A suggestion: to learn how to use it, take a training from an expert (possibly a real one, with experience on JBuilder+EJBs). Tools & good instruments are useless if you don't know how to use them at their best.

Re: Development tools

Posted By:   RATHAKRISHNAN_K  
Posted On:   Friday, October 26, 2001 12:48 AM

No doubt that you're not only wasting your time by using Visual J++, but also build sytems that will not be compatible with any other platform other than Microsoft's.
Moreover, if you want to work with latest Java API [including EJB], then VJ++ is not suitable, as Microsoft doesn't have license for any JDK 1.2.x or later.
They're just stuck with JDK 1.1.x, as they had to settle $20 billion to Sun [additional revenue to Sun!], for violating the
license agreement with Sun, for using JAVA . If you need to work with EJB and the REAL JAVA technologies, you've array of
good JAVA IDEs that can be considered: Oracle JDeveloper 9i, Borland JBuilder, IBM Visual Age For Java, Sun Forte For Java, etc.

Never ever think of VJ++ or any other microsoft tools [other than Windows], when it comes to JAVA. They've proved that they're the culprit!

-RK

About | Sitemap | Contact