dcsimg
Listening sockets on applet for Messaging
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Matthew_Boulter
Posted On:   Thursday, October 18, 2001 03:32 AM

Listening Sockets??? In my current project we have the following requirement: We need to develop a way for allowing client-server messaging. I.e., we have an event manager that receives messages about remote computers. When a fault on a remote computer occurs we want to be able to 'popup' a window on a client computer somewhere. When the user's log in, I log their IP address. When we receive an fault-event I know which user to contact, and therefore which IP address to contact. My Problem Client's cannot have listening sockets. Can somebody suggest a solution I may not know about? RMI? etc?? I want to try an avoid a polling solution (where the applet continually polls the se   More>>

Listening Sockets???

In my current project we have the following requirement:

We need to develop a way for allowing client-server messaging. I.e., we have an event manager that receives messages about remote computers. When a fault on a remote computer occurs we want to be able to 'popup' a window on a client computer somewhere.

When the user's log in, I log their IP address. When we receive an fault-event I know which user to contact, and therefore which IP address to contact.

My Problem

Client's cannot have listening sockets.

Can somebody suggest a solution I may not know about? RMI? etc?? I want to try an avoid a polling solution (where the applet continually polls the server to see if any new fault-event messages are waiting. And also if I can avoid signing my applet would be cool, not for malicious reasons, just that we'd like to try this soon. Considering that the only server I want a listening socket to is my originating host!

Any help would be wonderful! .

Thanx in advance, Matt.

<<Less

Re: Listening sockets on applet for Messaging

Posted By:   Annichilez_Sy  
Posted On:   Thursday, October 18, 2001 03:53 AM

Have u try signed Applet?

I think it can listern to a port.
About | Sitemap | Contact